Search This Blog

Sunday 11 January 2015

Anglo-Saxon Lyre/Harp

I'm currently getting one of these built for me for a late birthday present.  An Anglo-Saxon Lyre or Harp.


How cool is that? 

I'm beyond excited!  Andyroo is currently waiting for special glue to join the soundboard to the frame, and then the next stage can be started, but for now it looks like this:





I would also like to point out the cuteness of said husband! I'm doubly blessed!

The instructions for making my Lyre come from Michael J King, who is a very talented instrument maker and luckily also has plans for those of us who can't yet justify owning the magnificence of his finished works.
 
I'm looking forward to learning to play this amazing instrument. I have trouble these days with pushing hard enough on a guitar fretboard, and this might just be the alternative I've been wanting.  Also, I'm a Bard, right?  What Bard doesn't have a harp?     

 

2 comments:

  1. Oh you lucky girl! I want one! I'm having the same problem with the guitar that you are and this just might be my answer as well. Thanks for the tip. Alas, I do not have a handy husband like you so I will have to save my pennies to buy one. What a beautiful sound!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I love the sound of it too, and the organic look of the way it is played. I'll report back on whether if it is as nice to play as it looks!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to read your comment, so please do!