Search This Blog

Friday 6 March 2015

Music to write to: Damh the Bard.

Damh (pronounced Dave) the Bard is the current Pendragon of the Druid Order I study with, the Order of Bards, Ovates and Druids.  He is also the reason why I came to that Order and to Druidry in general.  The Pendragon is kind of in charge of the arts in the Order and for inspiring us all creatively.  Damh walks his talk, being a fantastic musician and all around great guy.  He also makes and hosts the Order's Podcast, Druidcast.

I have his songs on constant rotation on all my lists, whether on my ipod for in the car or while doing chores, for writing, or for just enjoying in general.

I first found him on cdbaby by searching for 'Pagan'.  One of the first songs I heard by him and that grabbed me at once was, "Merlin am I."  I love Merlin and his story and this live version is so beautiful.   He truly is a Bard.  One day maybe I will get to experience a live show. I hope so!

There's a little jump in the video at about 2.15 but it is still a lovely version so worth it.

As usual with musicians I love, it is very hard to choose songs!  This one is one of my faves.  Gentle and beautiful, and a lovely message.  "Land, Sea and Sky." 

This one is a bit of a Pagan anthem.  Yes he is a very Pagan musician.  I know this might bother some of my readers, but it's ok, really it is. Pagans don't eat babies or worship the devil.  The devil is a Christian invention.  Generally we're trying to be good people, we just have different deities, and we usually venerate nature in some way as well.  If I can listen to and enjoy a band like Brother Sun (which I totally do!) a Christian can enjoy this music too!

        
And finally, Argh! Which one?  Which one of so many that I love?  Ok, another one of his story songs, since as a storyteller myself I do appreciate a good story in a song. This is the tale of Ceridwen and Taliesin, a tale that is used for teaching in the Order of Bards, Ovates and Druids.  I've heard and read it so many times, pulled it to bits upways and downways, but this song still gives me goosebumps.  And that, my friends, is the power of a true Bard!



 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to read your comment, so please do!