Search This Blog

Thursday 17 November 2016

More Anglo-Saxon Lyre, At Last! (Jabberwocky.)

Well its taken me a while, so long that I've actually got two songs ready to be videoed, but one will do for today.

Jabberwocky has been a favorite of mine ever since I was a child.  I love the strange words and the somewhat creepy, marshy tone.  It always sets my imagination a-whirl.

This is me being all imaginative. 
So, I set out to work out how to play it on my lyre.  There is the classic Donovan version, there is an amazing one done by Omnia, but those didn't quite work for the lyre, which can be a bit finicky as to notes and such you can use.  Tuned from G up to E as it is, there are some songs I just can't get to work with it at all, at least when I just pick it. The range for block and strum is much greater but I prefer my guitar for strummy stuff. 

At any rate, I fiddled and twiddled and sang and messed around with it, trying to keep the right mossy tone to suit it, and came up with this. I hope you enjoy it!


I've written a new song from scratch too, but haven't videoed it yet.  It has passed the test of its first listeners liking it, so it won't be long.  Just need to get my act together to film it.  

Hope the weekend sees you doing lots of fun, creative and social stuff!  Weeee!  (Think the iron tablets are kicking in over here.)   




     
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to read your comment, so please do!