It began with pages like this of thumbnails. I've posted this one before but, eh, it is the beginning of the journey, so it needs to go here too.
After that I put in my first washes on the background. The paper I was using didn't hold up very well to washing. It's only a pad of water colour paper. Not the best quality. Still, it was a start I could work with.
More washes followed.
At this stage I began to work in more detail.
After that Andyroo kindly helped me photograph the image, and then I resized it to fit the book cover ready to add text in Gimp.
What do you think?
For the back cover, I just couldn't think of any image to use that wouldn't give too much away, or give the wrong impression about the book, so I have just washed a full page to match the texture of the background in the front cover. I'm trying to do a different spine colour for each book, just for fun, and this one is obviously going to be purple! :)
There are many, many artists in the world who would do a much better job of this sort of art than me. I would consider myself a novelist first and foremost, but I do enjoy the challenge of doing my own cover art, and I hope you enjoy seeing them in progress!
Final editing is part way done, and soon the book will be available. Exciting! This is the first book I have finished in many years, since before I got sick with Lyme disease more than a decade ago. To be returning to my creative life means more than this bard can express in words.