I started with a few different thumbnails and messing about till I got a design I liked. This is a scan from my sketchbook.
Then, when I'd got the thumbnail right, a sketch.
After that I got out my trusty quill pen and ink because I wanted more variety in the line than you can get with a .03 ink pen. which was the smallest I had available. I had this idea that I wanted the figures to be outlined boldly in black, a bit like some art deco designs.
After that it was time to add watercolour.
Then it was off to Gimp to add the title text. I've been learning a bit about Gimp due to having to do these covers. Can't say as I love it but I'm getting to know it a bit better.